Satirical v. Nihilistic: The Simpsons are Both






Can The Simpsons be nihilistic and satirical? To quote the wise man once known as “Rummy” during the Iraq Invasion, “There are known knowns…and there are unknown knowns…who knows.” After all, Wikipedia lists the animated family’s sitcom that stole our hearts--the same decade Seinfeld became a show about nothing--as a nineteen-nineties American satirical television series. However, the show goes far beyond pointing to the foibles of the human condition and in doing so no institution or treasured relationship is safe from becoming lampooned. So, in this regard, the show usually leaves the viewer with a feeling that could be described as nihilistic. 

The author’s point to “Bart may be just part and parcel of the decadence and nihilism that pervades our era” [Irwin, p.77]. Moreover, Bart exudes a type of “just enough to get by or spirit of mediocrity that could be likened to what so many, including myself career-wise in the last decade of the previous century; why try harder? Times are good, my career, and wage advances every year or change of jobs. Bart has a way to always just escape certain disaster or his imminent demise…but just barely!

Initially, I was an early adopter of all-things-Simpsons. At the beginning of the last decade of the Twentieth Century, I found myself working at a huge apartment complex adjacent CSUS near the intersection of Howe Avenue and Folsom Blvd. in the Sac. One may ask, “What does that have to do with anything Drake?” Well, there were lots of college students, multiple pools, and the multipurpose room was even the site of kegger parties back when I had gone to high school just across the river. My point being, it was nineteen-ninety and it had been decided—while driving around my two girlfriends on the golf cart—that it was my turn to throw a party this upcoming weekend. So the idea was born:

…I would throw a Simpsons themed viewing party. Perhaps I was ahead of my time as the first one or two seasons were not nearly as clever as the decade progressed, yet I was an early adopter, nonetheless. Complete with Halloween sized Butterfingers, I was an early adopter. Many were baffled by the concept or had not even seen the series prior to that evening. Point being, everyone got drunk and it was a simpler time and place!


Comments

  1. Hey, your post was very interesting. I liked that you related it back to a personal experience in your life. I can see where The Simpsons can be nihilistic. Unfortuantely growing up I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons as much but watching some episodes now I see how it's both satirical and nihilistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drake, I think you brought up many good points and I like how you tied in your personal experiences with explaining how the show can be nihilistic. I can definitely see how the show is nihilistic as it often brings up ideas that go against a certain idea or event. For instance, the show might criticize the government for a law it has passed or poke fun of a certain protest regarding inequality. At the same time, of course the show can be satirical as it is defined to be. I suppose it just depends on the context of what issue or idea the show brings up.

    -Florito Maniego

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 7 Re-Do

Troupe Lists Run Deep and Varied

In Living Color: Season 04 Episode 19 & 20